Tips for avoiding protests
The Government Accountability Office can now rule on companies’ protests of task and delivery orders under a new authority that took effect in May. As a result, some acquisition experts and government officials say there is little hope for avoiding protests from losing bidders.
However, they offered a few tips for minimizing the potential for protests.
- Allow yourself extra time to plan thoroughly from the beginning.
- Check and recheck the work.
- Write clearly defined requirements.
- Stick to the criteria described in the solicitation.
- Stay in close contact with potential contractors.
- Hold a debriefing meeting.
- Explain your decision to losing bidders.
- Avoid innovative approaches to acquisitions.
- Cross your fingers.
Matthew Weigelt is a former FCW senior writer who covered acquisition and procurement.