September 26 The Federal List – Government IT in Transition
Stories in this year’s installment of the annual FCW special issue include:
- The next five years in e-gov, acquisition, technology, defense IT and management
- Measuring the legacy and future of Vivek Kundra’s IT agenda
- Preparing for the mobile enterprise
- Tips for managing in challenging times
Writer: FCW staff – Contact appropriate beat writers for each topic
Posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM0 comments
September 12 Gov 2.0 Infrastructure: Shared Services
Many agencies are interested in hosting or participating in a private community cloud model, in which multiple departments or agencies share services from a common infrastructure. But this model introduces a host of financial and related administrative issues that agency IT shops have not traditionally addressed. This story will look at how some government community cloud pioneers build business cases, finance the development of the shared infrastructure, and charge agency customers for the services.
Writer: Alan Joch, ajoch AT worldpath DOT net
Posted on Jul 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM0 comments
Looking for experts who aren’t afraid to argue their point
Do you or someone you know or work with have strong and informed views about an issue important to government IT?
Federal Computer Week is introducing a regular new feature that will give a soapbox for two experts to debate newsworthy and controversial topics relevant to the government IT and management community. The opportunity is open to government employees, industry members, consultants and other experts. Participants will be asked to contribute a written position piece (approximately 500-words) on the topic and will have the opportunity to respond to points raised by the person arguing the opposing viewpoint.
Topics can touch on specific technologies, management approaches and workforce issues. Possibilities include:
- cloud insecurity – real or overstated?
- agile development – silver bullet or good only sometimes?
- consumerization of enterprise IT – no worries or no way?
- private cloud versus public cloud
- insourcing versus outsourcing
- telework – too much or too little?
- pay for performance
- FISMA security compliance versus real time monitoring.
Please send any suggestions of experts who would like to participate and topic ideas to FCW Senior Editor John Zyskowski at email@example.com.
Posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM0 comments