What you can do on AKO
Here are some of the features on the Army Knowledge Online and Defense Knowledge Online Web portals
The Army Knowledge Online and Defense Knowledge Online (AKO/DKO) Web portals have more than 2.3 million users that include active and reserve service members, family members of deployed personnel, retirees and other Defense Department employees. Here are some of the features the portals offer.
- Career lifetime e-mail: Registered users can have a single address for unclassified but sensitive messages with access anytime, from anywhere in the world.
- Online transactions: Personnel can access from a single sign-on a range of career management and benefits applications, such as the Defense Financing and Accounting Service travel voucher notification system and the Personnel Command’s Career Field Designator system.
- Personalization: Users may organize their AKO sites to present the information they want to see and need to use.
- AKO-S: Action officers can use this communications tool and information repository for access to sensitive and classified content.
- Learning opportunities: Distance learning opportunities such as Smartforce CBT offer service members pursuing technical education a convenient way to learn.
- Army White Pages: A worldwide people locator service providing contact information for anyone with an AKO account.
Doug Beizer is a staff writer for Federal Computer Week.