Administration blasts GOP's proposed cuts for rest of 2011
Republican bill would cut spending by an estimated $100 billion
The Obama administration has fired back at a bill that would cut $100
billion in spending for the second half of 2011, issuing a sharply
worded statement in opposition. Read the statement here.
House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) introduced
the bill (H.R. 1) last week to fund the government for the remainder of
this fiscal year while also cutting government spending by an estimated
$100 billion compared with the president’s fiscal 2011 budget request.
GOP pushes bill to cut spending by $100 billion
GOP leader ups the ante: $100 billion in spending cuts this fiscal year
“The continuing resolution on the floor today represents the
largest reduction in non-security discretionary funding in the history
of our nation,” Rogers said Feb. 15. He added that the bill would put
the nation on a “sustainable financial path.”
But the administration said it does not support the “deep cuts”
included in Rogers’ legislation, particularly those that would affect
the Defense Department.
“The bill proposes cuts that would sharply undermine core government
functions and investments key to economic growth and job creation, and
would reduce funding for [DOD] to a level that would leave the
department without the resources and flexibility needed to meet vital
military requirements,” the administration said in a statement issued
The administration added that if the president is presented with a
bill that undermines critical priorities, shortchanges national security
or contains earmarks, he will veto that bill.
The current continuing resolution expires at the beginning of March.
Alyah Khan is a staff writer covering IT policy.