In February of 2019, the Trump administration issued an executive order outlining a national strategy on artificial intelligence. The American AI Initiative envisions government working with partners in industry and academia, at home and abroad, to build a foundation from which the U.S. will lead development of this important emerging technology.
In the immediate future, the government predicts it will spend more than $1 billion on AI in fiscal year 2020. The spend will range from projects that help agencies secure real savings by using AI in low-end processing projects to longer-term projects that aim to solve higher-level, complex mission challenges.
This FCW workshop will highlight some of the successful projects underway currently in agencies, and share lessons learned so far in the federal government's AI journey.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Current federal investments in AI research and development
- Latest in policy and funding for government AI applications
- Best practices for identifying and preparing training data
- Ways to build the AI workforce with education and training opportunities
- Specific agency AI projects and their progress to date
- AI tools and resources available through existing government contracts