10 tips for ERP success
- By Heather Harreld
- May 29, 2000
1. Manage the human element as closely as the technology element.
2. Visit other organizations that have done ERP implementations to learn
from their efforts.
3. Ensure senior management and middle management buy-in.
4. Avoid employees who are "retired in place." Instead, choose "out
of box" thinkers for an implementation team and dedicate them to the ERP
5. Have a firm, fixed-price contract as an incentive to the contractor.
6. Provide incentives to prevent personnel from being lured to other
7. Make minimal code changes to commercial off-the-shelf ERP packages.
8. Begin re-engineering business processes before buying ERP software.
9. Train users before going live and offer help-desk services after
launching the system.
10. Stick to a strict implementation deadline.