Editorial: Beyond the Band-Aid

The industry security clearance process has had problems almost from the time it started. There is a perpetual backlog of applications, which has driven up costs to both industry and government agencies.

The story took a dramatic turn on April 28 when the Defense Department announced that it would not conduct additional security clearances because the Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office has, essentially, run out of money for such actions. Curiously, that announcement came late on a Friday afternoon with little warning.

It was just the latest and most visible indication that the program is troubled. Vendors have been paying a high premium for people with security clearances, and those high costs have to be passed along to agencies.

It is essential to remember that vendors are seeking these clearances because they are trying to address agency security needs and concerns. And these clearances are probably very important given the natural concerns the government has about security and given that more and more work is being done by contractors.

Even DOD officials acknowledge that the program has had difficulties. Robert Rogalski, special assistant to the undersecretary of Defense for intelligence, testified last week before the House Government Reform Committee that the Defense Security Service had submitted 100,000 requests to the Office of Personnel Management for industry investigations before they were halted.

“Based on current projections, we anticipate submitting an additional 100,000 industry investigations” this fiscal year, he said.

Rogalski all but said the program has been mismanaged, and he said senior leadership is now focused on fixing the problem.

But there must be a wholesale look at how the program works. Industry officials noted that these applications are largely processed the same way they were when Dwight Eisenhower was president. And there are some simple fixes. Currently, applicants can submit their applications electronically, but they cannot submit their fingerprints or signatures electronically.

If this program is important — and we believe it is — it is time to look at fixing its problems once and for all.

About the Author

Christopher J. Dorobek is the co-anchor of Federal News Radio’s afternoon drive program, The Daily Debrief with Chris Dorobek and Amy Morris, and the founder, publisher and editor of the DorobekInsider.com, a leading blog for the Federal IT community.

Dorobek joined Federal News Radio in 2008 with 16 years of experience covering government issues with an emphasis on government information technology. Prior to joining Federal News Radio, Dorobek was editor-in-chief of Federal Computer Week, the leading news magazine for government IT decision-makers and the flagship of the 1105 Government Information Group portfolio of publications. As editor-in-chief, Dorobek served as a member of the senior leadership team at 1105 Government Information Group, providing daily editorial direction and management for FCW magazine, FCW.com, Government Health IT and its other editorial products.

Dorobek joined FCW in 2001 as a senior reporter and assumed increasing responsibilities, becoming managing editor and executive editor before being named editor-in-chief in 2006. Prior to joining FCW, Dorobek was a technology reporter at PlanetGov.com, one of the first online community centers for current and former government employees. He also spent five years at Government Computer News, another leading industry publication, covering a variety of federal IT-related issues.

Dorobek is a frequent speaker on issues involving the government IT industry, and has appeared as a frequent contributor to NewsChannel 8’s Federal News Today program. He began his career as a reporter at the Foster’s Daily Democrat, a daily newspaper in Dover, N.H. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California. He lives in Washington, DC.


FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.

Featured

  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group