Army lets protesters onto ITES-2S

Five protesting companies will now be allowed to join the contract

The Army has found a solution to the protests surrounding its largest contract vehicle, much like the biblical King Solomon did when two women both claimed to be the mother of a baby. The Army is dividing the prize among all the competitors.

The Army has decided to allow the five losing bidders that successfully protested the Information Technology Enterprise Solutions-2 Services (ITES-2S) to join the contract.
ITES-2S is a $20 billion, nine-year contract vehicle meant to be the cornerstone of the service’s IT procurement for the next decade. It is a follow-on to the $1 billion ITES-Enterprise Mission Support Services Solutions contract issued in 2003.

Settlement agreements with five companies — BAE Systems North America, Northrop Grumman, NCI Information Systems, Multimax and Pragmatics — were signed last week, and the Army will issue a new contract award soon, said Kevin Carroll, chief of the Program Executive Office for Enterprise Information Systems. PEO-EIS and the Army’s IT, E-Commerce and Commercial Contracting Center administer ITES-2S.

As full participants in ITES-2S, the companies will compete for task orders throughout the life of the contract, Carroll said. Army customers could begin ordering services using ITES-2S early next month, he said.

As part of the settlement agreements, the Army will not reimburse the protest companies for legal fees and other costs associated with the protest process, Carroll said.

The settlement will create increased competition for task orders, which is good, said Lee Harvey, Carroll’s deputy at PEO-EIS. However, administrative and logistical challenges will increase, he said.

The Army originally issued ITES-2S awards to 11 large and small contractors April 14. The five companies protested to the Government Accountability Office in May. Later that month, the Army withdrew the awards, making the protests moot. The Army reissued the awards July 13 to the same 11 companies.
The same five companies filed new protests in July. Last month, GAO sustained the new protests and recommended that the Army re-evaluate the awards.

GAO agreed with the protesters’ assertions that the Army’s evaluation of proposed labor rates were unreasonable and that the contracting agency failed to conduct meaningful discussions with bidders, according to the GAO decision.
“We’re delighted with the settlement,” said Carlton Jones, president of Multimax. The Army chose the best way to get the contract moving again, he said.

The new awardees will initially have higher price points, but discounts are likely during individual task-order competitions, Jones said. Also, industry consolidation in the next few years is likely to reduce the number of ITES-2S companies, he added.

The Army’s contracting methods exacerbated the problems that plagued the award process, said Robert Guerra, partner at Guerra Kiviat. The Army held too many rounds of clarification, allowing all of the bidders to match one another on evaluation factors other than price, he said.

The original ITES-2S large-business awards went to Booz Allen Hamilton, CACI-Information Systems Support, Computer Sciences Corp., EDS, General Dynamics, IBM, Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems and Science Applications International Corp. Apptis, QSS and STG won the small-business prizes.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.


  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group