140 inaccurate characters: Social media and disasters

Does social media spread misinformation during disasters?

According to the Congressional Research Service, the answer is maybe. In a report issued Sept. 6, CRS reviewed the use of social media for disseminating information through official and unofficial channels.

CRS found some evidence that when hundreds or thousands of people use Twitter and Facebook to report on disasters, some inaccurate information can creep in. “In some cases, the location of the hazard or threat was inaccurately reported,” analyst Bruce Lindsay wrote in the CRS report. “In the case of the March 2011 Japanese earthquake and tsunami, tweets for assistance were ‘retweeted’ after the victims had been rescued.”

Other studies suggest that the presence of inadvertent inaccuracy is minimal, CRS reported. The more serious risk is deliberate misinformation.

“Some individuals or organizations might intentionally provide inaccurate information to confuse, disrupt or otherwise thwart response efforts,” Lindsay wrote. "Malicious use of social media during an incident could range from mischievous pranks to acts of terrorism."

For example, terrorists often call first responders after an attack so they can launch a second attack on the emergency crews. Terrorists might find social media to be a useful tool in those situations, Lindsay wrote.

All in all, CRS offered tentative approval of the official use of social media to spread information about disasters and associated response, rescue and recovery efforts. However, because success stories are still largely anecdotal, the costs are unclear and some pitfalls might yet become apparent that are currently unknown, the study concludes that the use of social media warrants more study before the Federal Emergency Management Agency makes it part of its disaster strategy.

About the Author

Technology journalist Michael Hardy is a former FCW editor.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.


  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group