GAO Releases High-Risk List for 1997
The General Accounting Office last week issued its periodic series of reports on "high-risk" management problems facing the government. This year's series the third since 1992 tracks progress - or the lack of it - in 20 program areas and flags five new areas that GAO has concluded make the government vulnerable to "waste fraud abuse and mismanagement."
While the reports have no direct consequences for agency budgets they have in the past reflected and influenced the oversight agendas of congressional committees and subsequent legislation. The list below identifies those reports that focus on information technology-related problems.
* Customs Service Financial Management
* Defense Corporate Information Management
* Defense Financial Management
* Defense Inventory Management
* Department of Housing and Urban Development
* FAA Air Traffic Control Modernization
* Information Security*
* IRS Financial Management
* IRS Tax Systems Modernization
* National Weather Service Modernization
* Student Financial Aid
* Year 2000*
*After name indicates that this report is new to this list.