- By Natasha Haubold
- Mar 05, 2000
Qwest's major government contracts and projects:
* Energy Sciences Network. Qwest will design and create an all-optical
network for the Energy Department to transmit more than 1 trillion bits
of information a second.
* Boston-South Optical Network. In conjunction with the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology's Lincoln Laboratory, Qwest is designing an all-optical
network for DARPA that will run from Boston to New York to Washington, D.C.
The network will reduce the number of optical regenerators and allow more
than 100 gigabits/sec of data to be transmitted.
* Treasury Communications System. As a subcontractor to TRW Inc. on
the $1 billion Treasury project, Qwest will provide network support and
advanced communication services.
* Internet2 Abilene. Qwest provided universities access to its Macro
CapacitySM Fiber Network, creating the farthest-reaching educational and
research network in the world. The Abilene network will be used to exchange
information among agencies and universities across the country.
* DOD Virtual Private Network. Qwest will provide over the next 10 years
the fiber, hardware, engineering, communications services and network management
necessary to create a custom network that provides privacy and meets the
DOD's unique requirements.