- By William Matthews
- Apr 24, 2000
Text of OMB Circular A-130
In addition to addressing access to information, OMB's proposed revisions
to Circular A-130 attempt to force agencies to exercise better oversight
of their information technology investments. The provisions require agencies
* Create "information technology architectures" as guides for strategic
and operational IT planning.
* Establish a "capital planning and investment control" plan to reduce
ill-conceived spending on information technology.
* Develop an "information resource management plan" capable of analyzing
IT investments to ensure they work toward achieving the agency's overall
mission and goals.
* Meet information technology needs through intra-agency and interagency
sharing, before buying new equipment.
* Create a "portfolio" that monitors agency IT investmen ts to avoid
redundancy and examine alternative options.