The IRS by the numbers
- By Judi Hasson
- May 08, 2000
* The IRS collects $1.5 trillion in taxes each year.
* There are 102,000 IRS employees. The IRS' annual budget is $7.8 billion.
* The IRS has 200 computer systems. They will be gradually replaced
by a single database system.
* IRS modernization is expected to take 10 to 15 years.
* The entire modernization project will involve more than 50 million
lines of computer code.
* Taxpayer records are stored in an obsolete tape-based system. The
system stores 2.5 million terabytes of data, enough to fill a library of
2.5 million books.
Sources: The IRS and the Los Angeles Times