That sinking feeling
- By Dan Verton
- May 15, 2000
Congress wants the following information from the Navy:
* Outcome-oriented performance measures.
* A description of alternatives considered.
* A baseline rundown of current costs for IT services.
* Analysis of how civilian and military IT personnel would be affected by
* The number of personnel who would be displaced by N/MCI and what they
would do after award of N/MCI.
* A prediction of whether a reduction in personnel would result from N/MCI.
* A complete funding profile, including:
- Obligated or expended funds for IT services for fiscal years 1999 and
2000, including from which accounts those funds are taken.
- Accounts used to fund N/MCI from fiscal 2001 and through 2005.
- Risk-assessment describing probability of achieving cost, schedule and
- Certification that starting in fiscal 2002 the Navy will comply with
Office of Management and Budget Circular A-11.
OMB Circular A-11 rules:
- Request money needed to complete each distinct phase of a project at its
start, rather than asking for money year by year.
- Describe how the project helps to fulfill strategic goals over its life
- Identify contracting and management strategies for each program.
- Outline how program costs and schedules will be monitored, report whether
such targets are being met, and detail how errant projects will be put back
Source: House version of the fiscal 2001 Defense authorization bill.