Change in directions
- By Joan Leotta
- Jul 10, 2000
Dos and don'ts of implementing change:
* Make sure that leadership formulates the vision.
* Have a sense of urgency about your mission.
* Commit sufficient resources.
* Develop a strategic plan.
* Create short-term goals that are achievable markers along the road
* Create an adaptive corporate culture.
* Gain buy-in from workers and middle managers.
* Empower workers through open and frequent communication.
* Provide timely and appropriate training.
* See glitches as learning experiences.
* Shift to a culture that respects, expects and enjoys change.
* Review and revise the plan regularly.
* Send out regular updates of procedures.
* Don't make change a top-down experience.
* Don't leave anyone out of the planning process.
* Don't focus only on the big picture and forget to set short-term goals
* Don't assume that information just "gets out."
* Don't allow expectations to become unrealistic.
* Don't train too early or too late.
* Don't be fixed on turf rather than customer needs.
* Don't let the plan be carved in stone.