Restructuring the NSA
Recommendations to NSA director Michael Hayden to improve NSA management:
1. Establish leadership standards and hold leaders accountable for meeting
2. Establish leadership as a core competency at NSA and build corporate
mechanisms to guarantee a supply of future leaders.
3. Provide outside mentoring to senior leaders and hold senior leaders
accountable for mentoring and coaching junior personnel.
4. Hire a consultant from industry to shape the change-management process.
5. Scrub the list of senior positions and stop selecting people based
only on rank.
6. Abolish agency-level promotion boards.
7. Eliminate working groups and committees when an individual can make