Eyeing a solution
- By Dan Verton
- Aug 21, 2000
Educators have a nine-point cooperative plan among government, industry
and academia to address the demand for information assurance professionals:
* Creation of a National Defense Education Act-style scholarship program
to encourage undergraduate and graduate students to enter the profession
of information assurance/security.
* Creation of distinguished professorships and associated stipends
to encourage faculty to join and remain in the academic ranks.
* Creation of joint research opportunities with government.
* Creation of mechanisms to maintain currency of teaching and research
* Encouragement of government, industry and academic personnel interchanges.
* Encouragement of joint academic/industry research groups to address
* Creation of an information assurance training program to increase
the number of faculty teaching and researching in the area.
* Creation of joint education and training programs to keep current
practitioners' skills up-to-date.
* Support for the creation of innovative research outlets for faculty.