The path to sharing
- By Dan Verton
- Aug 28, 2000
Obstacles to intelligence sharing:
* Limited connectivity across agencies.
* Basic search-and-retrieval tools and complicated stovepipe databases.
* Limited ability to share data and collaborate online.
* Limited ability to process and filter information and handle non-English
* Limited ability to retrieve past production information, access
knowledge base or update customers.
Partial solution — "CIA Live":
* Chat room and instant messaging.
* Buddy list to alert analysts when an individual expert is online.
* Electronic, or shared, whiteboard. A user can post an image, for
example, and share it with another individual, then either individual can
annotate the image in real time.
* Shared applications. Instead of sharing images, analysts will be
able to share text documents.