Going for the gold
- By Paula Shaki Trimble
- Nov 05, 2000
Some of the IT logistics for the Olympic Winter Games of 2002 are:
* 33,000 miles of fiber-optic cable to connect all the venues with the Salt
Lake Organizing Committee offices downtown.
* 10,000 cellular phones.
* 6,500 two-way radios.
* 4,500 workstations and laptops.
* 50 software applications the committee is building anew or modifying
from previous Olympics.
* 14,500 desktop phones.
* 550 Microsoft Corp. Windows NT and Unix servers.
* 1,000 information kiosks and terminals.