Financial management tips
- By Christopher Dorobek (Moderator)
- Sep 17, 2001
Here's what the experts recommend for financial system success:
* Senior-level leadership is critical to the program. Implementing a financial system is hard work, and there are times when the only thing keeping the program from falling by the wayside is the commitment of senior management.
* Devote the right level of resources to the programs, in terms of people and money.
* Have the right people. Financial systems are different, and they are not something that most organizations do that often. And they do require expertise.
* Understand the technology you are rolling out.
* Communicate. You can never spend too much time on the people aspect of rolling out a financial system. The system may be automated, but people still run it and if they don't support it, it won't work.
Christopher J. Dorobek is the co-anchor of Federal News Radio’s afternoon drive program, The Daily Debrief with Chris Dorobek and Amy Morris, and the founder, publisher and editor of the DorobekInsider.com, a leading blog for the Federal IT community.
Dorobek joined Federal News Radio in 2008 with 16 years of experience covering government issues with an emphasis on government information technology. Prior to joining Federal News Radio, Dorobek was editor-in-chief of Federal Computer Week, the leading news magazine for government IT decision-makers and the flagship of the 1105 Government Information Group portfolio of publications. As editor-in-chief, Dorobek served as a member of the senior leadership team at 1105 Government Information Group, providing daily editorial direction and management for FCW magazine, FCW.com, Government Health IT and its other editorial products.
Dorobek joined FCW in 2001 as a senior reporter and assumed increasing responsibilities, becoming managing editor and executive editor before being named editor-in-chief in 2006. Prior to joining FCW, Dorobek was a technology reporter at PlanetGov.com, one of the first online community centers for current and former government employees. He also spent five years at Government Computer News, another leading industry publication, covering a variety of federal IT-related issues.
Dorobek is a frequent speaker on issues involving the government IT industry, and has appeared as a frequent contributor to NewsChannel 8’s Federal News Today program. He began his career as a reporter at the Foster’s Daily Democrat, a daily newspaper in Dover, N.H. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California. He lives in Washington, DC.