Some key players
Title: Director of the Office of Homeland Security
Role: Coordinating counter.terrorism initiatives across 46 federal agencies, state and local agencies, and the private sector.
Title: Cyberspace security adviser
Role: Coordinating protection of federal information systems and reacting to cyberattacks from hackers, criminals, terrorists and hostile nation-states.
Title: Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy (nominee)
Role: Coordinating federal research and development to ensure limited duplication of effort, and setting governmentwide policy for the use of science and technology.
Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.)
Title: Chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee's Subcommittee on Science, Technology and Space
Role: In the Senate, oversees federal technology research and development, federal use of technology, and coordination with the technology industry.
Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-N.Y.)
Title: Chairman of the House Science Committee
Role: In the House, oversees federal technology research and development, federal use of technology, and coordination with the IT industry.
Events Last Week
* Bush establishes Office of Homeland Security, headed by former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge.
* Richard Clarke tapped as special adviser to the president for cyberspace security.
* Clarke proposes GovNet, a secure intranet for critical government services, and accelerates work on a wireless network for emergency communications.
* Transportation Department inspector general calls for wider use of technology for detecting explosives and training personnel.
* Immigration and Naturalization Service commissioner says agency needs more money for technology to track immigrants. Oracle Corp. offers free software licenses and development services.
Connect with the FCW staff on Twitter @FCWnow.