Technology-related initiatives in the Homeland Security Department proposal
* Communications interoperability: Developing systems for real-time communications among federal, state and local emergency personnel.
* Border security technology: Developing a central information sharing clearinghouse and compatible databases to support all aspects of border control, including the issuing of visas.
* Information sharing and analysis: Enhancing the fusion and analysis of information from all available government law enforcement and intelligence sources. Also, developing threat modeling and simulation tools, led by the National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Center.
* Cybersecurity infrastructure protection: Unifying the activities of the Critical Infrastructure Assurance Office and the National Infrastructure Protection Center. Also, augmenting those capabilities with the Federal Computer Incident Response Center and incorporating the National Communications System.
* Research and development: Coordinating all science and technology research and development to detect and counter chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats.
* Bioterrorism detection and response: Developing a national system to monitor public and private health databases for indications that a bioterrorist attack has occurred. Also, creating a sensor network to detect and report the release of pathogens in densely populated areas.
Source: White House