James Ziglar, commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service
for a little more than a year, announced Aug. 16 that he will step down
at the end of December.
Both Congress and Attorney General John Ashcroft developed plans to
abolish INS, but the plans are on hold while Congress decides whether to
create the Homeland Security Department, which would probably absorb agency.
Under Ziglar's tenure, however, INS began modest reforms. The agency
is ready to begin fingerprinting and photographing foreign visitors who
are deemed a threat to U.S. security and is deploying an automated system
for tracking foreign students in the United States.
Thomas Richardson has been named assistant director of the FBI's Investigative
Technologies Division. An FBI agent for 27 years, Richardson moves to the
technology post after serving as acting deputy assistant director of the
Criminal Investigative Division's Financial Crimes, Integrity in Government/Civil
Rights, Operational Support and Administrative Branch.
Keith Lourdeau has been named chief of the FBI's Cyber Crime Section,
part of a new division created this year to improve the FBI's ability to
investigate Internet and computer system crimes. Lourdeau, a 16-year FBI
veteran, most recently worked with the CIA to establish greater cooperation
between the agency and the FBI in targeting international organized crime
groups, according to the FBI.
For more, please see "FBI continues tech exec shift"
Navy Rear Adm. Daniel Stone is being assigned as director for logistics,
J-4, U.S. Northern Command, announced Adm. Vern Clark, chief of Naval Operations,
Stone is currently assigned as deputy chief of staff for logistics,
fleet supply and ordnance, N-4, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
Jason Sotka has been named to fill the newly created position of enterprise
and government sales manager at UltraBac Software, the company announced
He will lead UltraBac's efforts to negotiate enterprise license agreements
with large corporate and federal agencies. The Bellevue, Wash.-based company
is a developer of backup and disaster recovery software.
Sotka previously served as director of sales, and then vice president
of sales and marketing, for BIZI International Inc., formerly Electronic
Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta on Aug. 16 announced the selection
of 20 federal security directors who will assume responsibility for 48 airports.
This announcement brings the total number of FSDs announced to 137.
* Ernest Sheard, Montgomery Regional Airport, Ala. Also responsible
for airports in Columbus and Macon, Ga.
* Margaret "Maggie" Rhodes, Fairbanks International Airport, Alaska.
Also, airports at Bethel, Dillingham, Deadhorse, Nome and Kotzebue, Alaska.
* David Mitchell, Juneau International Airport, Alaska: Also, airports
at Sitka, Yakutat, Gustavas, Wrangell, Ketchikan, Wiley Post/Will Rogers
and Petersburg, Alaska.
* John Sides, Tucson International Airport, Ariz.
* Robert Benson, Fresno Yosemite International Airport, Calif. Also,
Visalia Regional, Meadows Field Bakersfield and Indian Wells Valley airports,
* Dennis Portlance, Colorado Springs Municipal Airport. Colo. Also,
Pueblo Memorial Airport, Colo.
* James Correa, Kona International Airport, Hawaii. Also, Hilo Airport,
* Jeanne Clark, Chicago Midway Airport, Ill.
* Jason Brainard, Evansville Regional Airport, Ind.
* Robert Tucker, Monroe Regional Airport, La. Also, Alexandria Airport,
* Clement Spencer, Springfield/Branson Regional Airport, Mo. Also, Joplin
and Cape Girardeau airports and Forney Army Airfield, Mo.
* Michael Dewey, Albuquerque International/Sunport Airport, N.M.
* Paul Varville, Albany International Airport, N.Y.
* Robert Jackson, Portland International Airport, Ore. Also, Roberts
Field Airport, Ore.
* Debra Engel, Charleston International Airport, S.C. Also, Myrtle Beach
International Airport, S.C.
* Wiley Thompson, Memphis International Airport, Tenn.
* Roberto Fernandez, Corpus Christi International Airport, Texas. Also,
Victoria and Laredo International airports, Texas.
* Dennis Clark, El Paso International Airport, Texas.
* James Holden, Lubbock International Airport, Texas.
* Edward Karabinus, Sheppard AFB/Wichita Falls Municipal Airport, Texas.
Also, Lawton Municipal Airport, Okla.