Army workforce plan prepped
Half of the Army's civilian acquisition workforce is expected to retire within seven years, but a plan is in the works to address the crisis, according to the Army's top acquisition official.
Claude Bolton Jr., assistant secretary of the Army for acquisition, logistics and technology, said the majority of the Army's acquisition workforce is composed of civilians, more than half of whom will be eligible to retire by 2005, "and within the next seven years, half of them will."
Speaking Sept. 4 at an Association of the U.S. Army conference in Falls Church, Va., Bolton said that his military deputy, Lt. Gen. John Caldwell Jr., is in charge of developing a plan to address the crisis.
"I hope it's ready for me to take a look at this month or the first part of next month," Bolton said. He added that he has not asked to see a draft of the plan because it is "still a work in progress."
TSP woes continue in court
A U.S. Court of Federal Claims decision on Aug. 30 maintained that the money used to pay Thrift Savings Plan expenses is public money, allowing American Management Systems Inc. to proceed with its case against the board that manages the TSP.
AMS is suing the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board for firing the company last year for not delivering the new TSP automated recordkeeping system. The board asked the court to dismiss AMS' case for lack of jurisdiction, but the court denied the motion.
Roger Mehle, executive director of the board, said in a Sept. 4 letter that he has asked Attorney General John Ashcroft to "seek an immediate appeal of this decision."
Meanwhile, the board has a $350 million suit pending against AMS in the U.S. District Court.