Of military retirement, the IT pay raise and death benefits

A Reader Writes:

I am a retired military member now working in a commercial environment. I am seriously looking at joining the ranks of civil service. I understand that there are positions that would not require me to give up my retired military pay while in civil service. How does this work?

Milt Replies:

If you go to work in the civil service, you won't forfeit your retired military pay, thanks to a 2000 law change.

Here is an article about the law, from the Journal of the Air Force Association: "New rules on dual compensation."

Also, refer to the Office of Personnel Management's VetGuide page.

A Reader Writes:

I was reading some back articles about the (governmentwide) 7 percent to 33 percent pay raise that computer specialists, series GS-334, were supposed to receive ["Pay raise particulars," for example.

I belong to this series but I never received any raises. When I talk to personnel, they say we aren't eligible. I see where the Federal Aviation Administration was forced to pay its workers after they filed a grievance ["FAA tech workers win pay raise"].

Is there anything I can do (file a grievance)? Are there any unions that can file a grievance on our part? (I don't belong to any.) Any help would be appreciated.

Milt Replies:

You can always file a grievance with or without a union and see what happens. What can you lose?

A Reader Writes:

My husband died a few years ago and I remarried, but have since divorced. I will soon turn 60 and would like to know if I will be eligible for widow benefits at that time.

Milt Replies:

The widow or widower of a deceased federal employee is generally eligible for a monthly survivor annuity, provided he or she was married to the deceased for at least nine months before the death. Also, the deceased annuitant must have elected a reduced payment with survivor benefits.

A former spouse may be eligible for a monthly survivor annuity if he or she meets the nine-month marriage requirement and a court order or a survivor election by the deceased provides for the annuity.

If the surviving spouse had a child with the deceased person or if the death was accidental, the nine-month marriage requirement does not apply.

Zall is a retired federal employee who since 1987 has written the Bureaucratus column for Federal Computer Week. He can be reached at [email protected]


  • Acquisition
    network monitoring (nmedia/Shutterstock.com)

    How companies should prep for CMMC

    Defense contractors should be getting ready for the Defense Department's impending cybersecurity standard expected to be released this month.

  • Workforce
    Volcanic Tablelands Calif BLM Bishop Field Office employee. April 28, 2010

    BLM begins move out of Washington

    The decision to relocate staff could disrupt key relationships with Congress and OMB and set the stage for a dismantling of the agency, say former employees.

Stay Connected


Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.