Metro regions get Homeland Security grants

Urban Area Security Initative: FY '04 Allocations

Related Links

Fifty major metropolitan areas, including several transit agencies, will get an additional $725 million to help improve security and readiness to respond to terrorist acts, the federal government announced.

The Homeland Security Department will provide $675 million in grants to urban areas based on critical infrastructure, population density and credible threat intelligence information. Allocations among cities, contiguous counties and mutual aid partners will be based on the area's assessment and strategic plan.

The funds will be funneled through state governments, which must pass on 80 percent to designated cities. States can use the remaining 20 percent for further security enhancements.

"The funds will go to the designated states, which will then work with counties and cities to form regions that will work together through mutual aid agreements, interoperable communications, statewide intelligence centers and community and citizen participation," said DHS Secretary Tom Ridge.

Additionally, major mass transit systems in 14 states and the District of Columbia will get $50 million to enhance security. The systems were chosen based on number of annual riders and overall track mileage. Each transit system will be required to conduct an assessment and preparedness plan if it hasn't already.

Transit agencies can use funds for physical barricades, integrated communications systems, prevention planning, training and exercises, and monitoring, including video surveillance, motion detectors, thermal/Infrared imagery and chemical/radiological material detection systems.

Earlier this year, the federal government provided at least $700 million for high-threat urban areas.

Featured

  • Telecommunications
    Stock photo ID: 658810513 By asharkyu

    GSA extends EIS deadline to 2023

    Agencies are getting up to three more years on existing telecom contracts before having to shift to the $50 billion Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions vehicle.

  • Workforce
    Shutterstock image ID: 569172169 By Zenzen

    OMB looks to retrain feds to fill cyber needs

    The federal government is taking steps to fill high-demand, skills-gap positions in tech by retraining employees already working within agencies without a cyber or IT background.

  • Acquisition
    GSA Headquarters (Photo by Rena Schild/Shutterstock)

    GSA to consolidate multiple award schedules

    The General Services Administration plans to consolidate dozens of its buying schedules across product areas including IT and services to reduce duplication.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.