Expert tips for moving from a government job to the private sector
- By Judi Hasson
- May 17, 2004
1. Figure out what you want before you start applying for a job.
2. Do your homework about a company before you get there.
3. Spend time networking and getting to know potential employers.
4. Take a job because of what you can do, not because of who you know in government.
5. Get ready to change your pace. It will probably be much faster in the private sector and slower in the public sector.
6. Learn how the budget works in your new job.
7. Be flexible.
8. Discover the culture and learn how to be part of it.
9. Expect a few bumps in the road.
10. Seek help when you need it and ask questions.