HITS protest upheld

The Government Accountability Office has upheld a protest by Lockheed Martin over a $750 million contract. However, officials at EDS, which had been awarded the contract, say the fight is not over.

Lockheed Martin had held the contract that preceded the HUD Information Technology Systems (HITS) contract issued by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Company officials have been fighting the award of the HITS contract to EDS since it was announced in August 2003.

"Today's decision by the GAO does not mean that Lockheed Martin has won the contract or provided a better solution," said EDS spokesman Kevin Clarke. "We continue to believe that our solution is the best one for HUD."

Clarke said EDS officials have not seen the formal GAO ruling, but they expect the agency to order HUD to take some form of corrective action. Given another opportunity to compete for the contract, he said, "we would vigorously work to secure the business."

EDS has won the HITS contract twice now: at the initial award and again after protests from both companies prompted HUD officials to reissue the proposal earlier this year.

Lockheed officials also have not seen GAO's recommendations, said spokeswoman Nettie Johnson.

"We are very happy that they have upheld the protest," she said. "This is the second time this has happened. We look forward to finding out what GAO has recommended."


  • Congress
    U.S. Capitol (Photo by M DOGAN / Shutterstock)

    Funding bill clears Congress, heads for president's desk

    The $1.3 trillion spending package passed the House of Representatives on March 22 and the Senate in the early hours of March 23. President Trump is expected to sign the bill, securing government funding for the remainder of fiscal year 2018.

  • 2018 Fed 100

    The 2018 Federal 100

    This year's Fed 100 winners show just how much committed and talented individuals can accomplish in federal IT. Read their profiles to learn more!

  • Census
    How tech can save money for 2020 census

    Trump campaign taps census question as a fund-raising tool

    A fundraising email for the Trump-Pence reelection campaign is trying to get supporters behind a controversial change to the census -- asking respondents whether or not they are U.S. citizens.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.