Fire breaks out in Old Executive Office Building

A fire broke out this morning at the Old Executive Office Building near the vice president’s ceremonial office.
[IMGCAP(1)]
The building was evacuated after the fire alarm sounded, according to an Office of Management and Budget official in the building during the alarm.

“The smoke was billowing in the hallway,” the official said.

The ceremonial office is on the second floor of the building, near the office of Karen Evans, OMB’s administrator for e-government and information technology.

The official said no one had heard heard of any injuries or the how the fire started.

The Associated Press is reporting that a spokesman for the Washington, D.C., Fire Department said the fire started in an electrical closet or telephone bank area on the third floor.

“OMB staff from the Eisenhower building have primarily moved to temporary offices in the adjacent New Executive building,” said an OMB spokeswoman. “We are conducting business as usual on a very unusual day. We echo the President in thanking the firefighters for their quick work in addressing the fire.”


Featured

  • Government Innovation Awards
    Government Innovation Awards - https://governmentinnovationawards.com

    Congratulations to the 2020 Rising Stars

    These early-career leaders already are having an outsized impact on government IT.

  • Cybersecurity
    cybersecurity (Rawpixel/Shutterstock.com)

    CMMC clears key regulatory hurdle

    The White House approved an interim rule to mandate defense contractors prove they adhere to existing cybersecurity standards from the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Stay Connected