Regulators put conflict-of-interest proposals on hold

The Defense Acquisition Regulatory Council has put on hold previously proposed rules on contractor conflicts of interest while regulators draw up new proposals, according to documents updated Oct. 31.

On the day before, defense and civilian agency regulators opened a case for new Federal Acquisition Regulation rules, based on the fiscal 2009 National Defense Authorization Act (S. 3001) that President Bush signed Oct. 14.

Defense Department lawyers are drawing up for the Defense Acquisition Regulation staff members a draft of a proposed FAR rule by Dec. 10, according to a DOD document detailing the status of proposed regulations.

The law requires the Office of Federal Procurement Policy to develop and issue a policy to prevent personal conflicts of interest by contractor employees doing work closely associated with inherently governmental functions. The policy must require those employees to identify conflicts of interest and prohibit employees with access to private government information for using it for personal gain.

In addition, the law requires government contracts and task and delivery orders to include clauses regarding the policy. The clause must take effect by next September.

Members of Congress have said they’re concerned that contractor employees who work alongside government employees are not subject to the same conflict-of-interest provisions as government workers.

As for the proposals now on hold, regulators had been reviewing for several months public comments on proposed rules on organizational and service-contractor employee personal conflicts of interest.

About the Author

Matthew Weigelt is a freelance journalist who writes about acquisition and procurement.

Featured

  • Workforce
    By Mark Van Scyoc Royalty-free stock photo ID: 285175268

    OPM nominee plans focus on telework, IT, retirement

    Kiran Ahuja, a veteran of the Office of Personnel Management, told lawmakers that she thinks that the lack of consistent leadership in the top position at OPM has taken a toll on the ability of the agency to complete longer term IT modernization projects.

  • Defense
    Soldiers from the Old Guard test the second iteration of the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) capability set during an exercise at Fort Belvoir, VA in Fall 2019. Photo by Courtney Bacon

    IVAS and the future of defense acquisition

    The Army’s Integrated Visual Augmentation System has been in the works for years, but the potentially multibillion deal could mark a paradigm shift in how the Defense Department buys and leverages technology.

Stay Connected