Air Force plans relignment for centers

The Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center will move about 70 personnel during the next 18 months to support its cyber operations, the Air Force has announced.

Personnel from Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., will be moved to Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center Detachments in California, Colorado and Florida, Air Force officials said Feb. 9.

“The organizational change will more effectively integrate command and control and cyber concerns with operational test and evaluation of command and control assets, space orbital vehicles, and space ground stations systems,” said Maj. Gen. Stephen Sargeant, the center’s commander.

Sargeant will remain in command of the realigned organization which tests and evaluates new weapons systems capabilities to provide information for decision makers during the acquisition process.

“Realigning AFOTEC's command and control and cyber expertise to our detachments is consistent with Air Force integration of cyber and space, and recognizes the mission critical role of software in the command and control of modern warfare,” Sargeant said.

The current realignment plan will move approximately 80 percent of the center's personnel to detachments at Edward Air Force Base, Calif.; Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.; and Peterson Air Force Base, Colo. The remaining 20 percent of personnel will be absorbed into the center’s headquarters at Kirtland.

The realignment affects eight civilian and 61 military employees, according to the Air Force.

About the Author

Doug Beizer is a staff writer for Federal Computer Week.

Featured

  • Cybersecurity

    DHS floats 'collective defense' model for cybersecurity

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen wants her department to have a more direct role in defending the private sector and critical infrastructure entities from cyberthreats.

  • Defense
    Defense Secretary James Mattis testifies at an April 12 hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

    Mattis: Cloud deal not tailored for Amazon

    On Capitol Hill, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis sought to quell "rumors" that the Pentagon's planned single-award cloud acquisition was designed with Amazon Web Services in mind.

  • Census
    shutterstock image

    2020 Census to include citizenship question

    The Department of Commerce is breaking with recent practice and restoring a question about respondent citizenship last used in 1950, despite being urged not to by former Census directors and outside experts.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.