After Fort Hood shootings, no force-wide changes in Army base security

Reports: bases not locked down, but security is beefed up

An Army official today confirmed that no force-wide alterations have been made to existing security measures across Army bases in the U.S. in wake of the Nov. 5 shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, that killed 13 people.

“Security conditions for our bases have not changed … but we have encouraged all installations to review their security procedures and status,” said Lt. Col. Lee M. Packnett, Army Office of the Chief of Public Affairs, Media Relations Division.

Published reports have said Army bases had been locked down, while others detailed the current security measures taken at specific bases, including ratcheting up of patrols and other moves to ensure base safety.

According to Packnett, security measures are based on a threat level. The Defense Department determines a basic, force-wide level of security threat across U.S. military installations, which it can raise or lower according to circumstances. Individual installations, such as a particular Army base, can increase their threat level, and therefore their own security measures, based on local situations or events. No installation may decrease its threat level below that determined by DOD.

About the Author

Amber Corrin is a former staff writer for FCW and Defense Systems.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.


  • Shutterstock image: looking for code.

    How DOD embraced bug bounties -- and how your agency can, too

    Hack the Pentagon proved to Defense Department officials that outside hackers can be assets, not adversaries.

  • Shutterstock image: cyber defense.

    Why PPD-41 is evolutionary, not revolutionary

    Government cybersecurity officials say the presidential policy directive codifies cyber incident response protocols but doesn't radically change what's been in practice in recent years.

  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group