Unions fire back at Gates for insourcing about-face

AFGE demands answers from Defense Secretary

The American Federation of Government Employees wants answers from Defense Secretary Robert Gates about how his plans to save the Pentagon money will affect insourcing efforts and federal employees.

Gates has reversed course from plans he had last year to eliminate as many as 33,000 service contractors in the next five years and boost the acquisition workforce by roughly 20,000 employees. However, union leaders believe Gates hasn’t given insourcing a chance to work before abandoning it.

John Gage, AFGE’s national president, said he will seek clarification from the Defense Department about its insourcing plans, the elimination of three DOD agencies and a hiring freeze on most jobs.

“Surely we should not give up on the promising but short-lived insourcing effort after just one year,” Gage said.

On the other hand, business groups are cheering Gates’ announcement and can’t wait for insourcing to end. The Business Coalition for Fair Competition sent a letter today to Jeffrey Zients, acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, about insourcing in light of Gates’ comments that it had failed to meet expectations.


Related stories

Insourcing failed, DOD's Gates says. Now what?

Gates details planned cuts in defense IT and elsewhere


“BCFC respectfully urges OMB to issue a revision to the insourcing agenda calling for an immediate halt to all insourcing efforts throughout the federal government,” wrote John Palatiello, the coalition’s president.

Despite their strong disagreement, the union and the business coalition can agree on one topic: They both want to know whether federal employees or contractors are cheaper.

During the moratorium, the coalition recommends that federal officials develop objective metrics for determining whether it’s less expensive for the government to perform commercial activities. Similarly, union leaders said DOD hasn’t conducted a full inventory of its contractor workforce and integrated those results into the budget process. Because of that, officials are unable to determine the costs and savings from insourcing, union officials said.

They believe insourcing will save DOD more money than awarding new service support contracts. They also pointed out that DOD officials said they spent 39 percent of the department's total workforce budget on service support and advisory contractors in 2009, up from 26 percent in 2000.

On Aug. 9, Gates said insourcing didn’t save money as officials had expected. Nevertheless, he said he still wants to target contractors but is taking a different approach: He’s going to hit them in the pocketbook.

The secretary specified a roughly 30 percent reduction in funds for support contractors through 2013. He said the goal is to reduce the number of contractors that are performing functions that are inherently governmental, meaning they should only be done by government employees. Gates also made an immediate 10 percent cut in funding for advisory and assistance contractors at the defense intelligence agencies. He also put a freeze on the number of senior executive positions at those organizations.

About the Author

Matthew Weigelt is a freelance journalist who writes about acquisition and procurement.

Featured

  • Cybersecurity

    DHS floats 'collective defense' model for cybersecurity

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen wants her department to have a more direct role in defending the private sector and critical infrastructure entities from cyberthreats.

  • Defense
    Defense Secretary James Mattis testifies at an April 12 hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

    Mattis: Cloud deal not tailored for Amazon

    On Capitol Hill, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis sought to quell "rumors" that the Pentagon's planned single-award cloud acquisition was designed with Amazon Web Services in mind.

  • Census
    shutterstock image

    2020 Census to include citizenship question

    The Department of Commerce is breaking with recent practice and restoring a question about respondent citizenship last used in 1950, despite being urged not to by former Census directors and outside experts.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.