Gates to outline new acquisition guidelines

DOD secretary expected to lay out a guide for moving ahead with acquisition reforms and budget cuts

Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Ashton Carter, chief of the Defense Department’s procurement policy, are expected to speak Sept. 14 about new guidelines on Gates’ acquisition and procurement initiatives, the department announced today.

Related Stories

Gates details plans to slash DOD budget

Insourcing failed, DOD's Gates says. Now what?

Pentagon tightens reins on contractors

DOD officials have not officially released details on the guidelines. But in August, Gates gave a few details on plans to shave $100 billion from the defense budget over the next five years by spending less money. Among the cuts, DOD’s IT infrastructure and offices are on the chopping block. Gates intends to reduce funding for support contractor employees by 10 percent a year for the next three years.

In addition, the secretary said the plan to insource work from contractors has not yielded as much savings as expected.

“The problem with contractors is — and what we’ve learned over the past year — is you really don’t get at contractors by cutting people,” Gates said. He said contractors get the money from a contract and then hire as many people as they think is necessary to do the work. “So the only way, we’ve decided, that you get at the contractor base is to cut the dollars.”

In other acquisition reforms, Carter, undersecretary for acquisition, technology, and logistics, gave some ideas earlier this year on closing the budget gap. He wants to take aim at contracting activities, particularly at the different types of contracts, program costs, and the practices that surround them. He talked about cutting back on contracts that come with an award fee or incentive for contractors to do their work well. The Obama administration has worked to minimize these types of cost-reimbursement contracts throughout the government.

Carter also outlined plans to trim excess spending, while leaving open the repercussions for companies that don’t work to get leaner.

“This is about costs, not profits," Carter said. "We want to use profits as an incentive for the defense industry, an incentive for saving taxpayer dollars.”

About the Author

Matthew Weigelt is a freelance journalist who writes about acquisition and procurement.


  • Congress
    U.S. Capitol (Photo by M DOGAN / Shutterstock)

    Funding bill clears Congress, heads for president's desk

    The $1.3 trillion spending package passed the House of Representatives on March 22 and the Senate in the early hours of March 23. President Trump is expected to sign the bill, securing government funding for the remainder of fiscal year 2018.

  • 2018 Fed 100

    The 2018 Federal 100

    This year's Fed 100 winners show just how much committed and talented individuals can accomplish in federal IT. Read their profiles to learn more!

  • Census
    How tech can save money for 2020 census

    Trump campaign taps census question as a fund-raising tool

    A fundraising email for the Trump-Pence reelection campaign is trying to get supporters behind a controversial change to the census -- asking respondents whether or not they are U.S. citizens.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.