DOD dropped the ball on workforce reviews, GAO says

Through an insufficient analysis, officials might have lost out on an opportunity to plan for the future.

The Defense Department failed to give Congress a complete picture of its civilian workforce and what those employees need to meet demands in years ahead, the Government Accountability Office reported.

DOD officials didn’t meet half the requirements that Congress gave them last year to strategically assess their overall civilian workforce. In particular, they didn’t give lawmakers evaluations of the senior managers or the acquisition workforce, as the fiscal 2010 National Defense Authorization Act requires, according to a letter sent Sept. 27 from GAO to several congressional committees.

“Effective human capital planning can enable DOD to have the right people, with the right skills, doing the right jobs, in the right places, at the right time,” GAO wrote.


Related stories:

DOD aims for acquisition overhaul

Army rebuilds acquisition workforce to meet Pentagon reforms


By using an inadequate analysis, officials might have lost an opportunity to more carefully plan for foreseeable challenges. “DOD may not be able to determine whether its investment in strategies to improve the civilian workforce is effective and efficient,” GAO wrote.

GAO officials said a complete analysis of the workforce will become more important as DOD launches its programs to reduce duplication, cut overhead cost and curtail excesses from its agencies.

In the authorization law, Congress directed DOD officials to look ahead seven years and figure out the critical skills and knowledge the civilian workforce will need. Lawmakers asked for the same information for the acquisition workforce, in addition to trends they anticipate based on the expected losses of employees, especially because of retirement. Finally, Congress wanted to know how to fix the workforce’s existing problems so they have the appropriate skills to meet the department’s future demands.

DOD has said roughly 30 percent of its 718,000 civilian employees will be eligible to retire by March 31, 2015. Officials’ concerns are compounded by efforts to reduce DOD's reliance on contractors and boost its workforce, GAO wrote.

About the Author

Matthew Weigelt is a freelance journalist who writes about acquisition and procurement.

Featured

  • People
    Dr. Ronny Jackson briefs the press on President Trump

    Uncertainty at VA after nominee withdraws

    With White House physician Adm. Ronny Jackson's withdrawal, VA watchers are wondering what's next for the agency and its planned $16 billion health IT modernization project.

  • Cybersecurity

    DHS floats 'collective defense' model for cybersecurity

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen wants her department to have a more direct role in defending the private sector and critical infrastructure entities from cyberthreats.

  • Defense
    Defense Secretary James Mattis testifies at an April 12 hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

    Mattis: Cloud deal not tailored for Amazon

    On Capitol Hill, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis sought to quell "rumors" that the Pentagon's planned single-award cloud acquisition was designed with Amazon Web Services in mind.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.