Government shutdown temporarily averted

Congress approves measure to fund the government through March 18

Congress has approved, and President Barack Obama has signed, a continuing resolution (CR) to fund the government until March 18, essentially prolonging the debate over the government’s budget for this fiscal year and temporarily staving off fears of employee furloughs resulting from a government shutdown.

The bill passed the House March 1 and the Senate passed the measure today by 91-9. The current CR expires March 4. 

Shortly after the Senate vote, the Obama administration released a statement indicating it will be more involved in upcoming deliberations on a longer-term bill. Obama signed the measure later in the day.


Related story:

House passes funding through March 18


“Living with the threat of a shutdown every few weeks is not responsible, and it puts our economic progress in jeopardy,” Obama said in the statement.  “That’s why I’m calling on Democratic and Republican leaders of Congress to begin meeting immediately with the vice president, my chief of staff, and budget director so we can find common ground on a budget that makes sure we are living within our means.” 

The CR immediately slashes $4 billion in federal spending by cutting eight programs that were marked for significant cuts or termination in Obama’s fiscal 2012 budget request. Other than those programs, federal agencies would continue operating at current funding levels.

An earlier CR passed by the House last month included $61 billion in total savings, but Senate Democrats and the Obama administration widely opposed the legislation.

The short-term spending bill gives Congress roughly two weeks to come to a compromise on how to fund the government for the remainder of fiscal 2011 and avoid a government shutdown.

About the Author

Alyah Khan is a staff writer covering IT policy.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.

Featured

  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group