CBP gets barrage of negative tweets about phones held at border

A Customs and Border Protection patent dispute involving over smart phone shipments held up by customs agents is now reported to be over, and the huge spike in Twitter traffic from disgruntled customers is expected to die down.

CBP was reported on May 22 to have approved shipments of the latest HTC mobile devices to enter the United States, following several days’ of detention that resulted in a surge in negative comments on Twitter.

Sources say the border protection agency, which is part of the Homeland Security Department, has approved shipment of the smart phones, according to a May 22 article in the Wall Street Journal. Shipments are said to be resuming as early as May 24.

CBP began holding back incoming shipments of several types of HTC mobile phones last week while investigating whether the devices break Apple patents.

Almost immediately, people waiting for their phones to arrive began posting negative comments on Twitter.

Traffic addressed to the @customsborder Twitter account rose by 9,900 percent in four days, from 26 mentions on May 17 to 2,600 mentions on May 20, according to a May 21 report by OhMyGov. “Most of the mentions express frustration with the agency,” the report added.

Users initiated campaigns urging the agency to free the phones for shipment, using the hashtags #FreemyEVO and #CBPevo, OhMyGov wrote.

The influx of tweets appeared to have quieted down somewhat on May 22, with a few users posting "thank you" messages to the agency.

About the Author

Alice Lipowicz is a staff writer covering government 2.0, homeland security and other IT policies for Federal Computer Week.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.


  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group