Procurement

NASA open source project back on track

NASA headquarters

NASA headquarters, Washington D.C.

NASA’s shift to open-source content management is back on after the incumbent contractor withdrew a bid protest on Feb. 4.

The withdrawal of the protest, filed by e-Touch Federal Systems on Dec. 28 after NASA awarded Rockville-Md.-based InfoZen a $40 million blanket purchase agreement, allows InfoZen to begin replacing NASA’s existing content management system with open source architecture to run its 140 websites and 1,600 web assets and applications.

No reason for the withdrawn protest was listed on the Government Accountability Office’s bid protest docket and is not immediately clear.

In an e-mail to FCW, InfoZen CTO Christopher David said the contract, which has a one-year base and four one-year options, officially began on Feb. 8 with InfoZen setting up for a smooth transition from e-Touch Federal Systems.

NASA had been pushing for the creation of a single infrastructure to support its websites and applications, giving preference to open-source technology in accordance with its Open Data Plan, which resulted from the Obama administration’s Open Government Initiative.

In a statement released prior to the bid protest, NASA said the agreement with InfoZen will provide a cloud-based solution for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS) for internal and external websites and web applications. Services will include content management, as well as search and collaborative services, such as blogs and wikis.

NASA’s main portal, www.nasa.gov, is heavily trafficked, attracting 600,000 unique web visitors per day and more than 140 million visits per year.

Ultimately, the bid protest delayed the start date by about one week for InfoZen, which had planned to begin work on Feb. 1. In accordance with federal law, an agency cannot move forward with a new contract while it is being protested.

About the Author

Frank Konkel is a former staff writer for FCW.

FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.

Featured

  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group