Budget

OMB seeks 10 percent cuts for fiscal year 2015

Sylvia Burwell

OMB Director Sylvia Burwell urges agencies to 'focus on programs that work' while cutting costs. (Photo by Sen. Dick Durbin's office.)

Federal agencies are being asked to cut their discretionary budgets for fiscal year 2015 by 10 percent below levels previously requested in the president's 2014 budget submission, according to new budget guidance from Office of Management and Budget Director Sylvia Burwell.

Agencies are being asked to adopt proposals from the Government Accountability Office's annual report on duplication and overlap in government programs as part of an overall effort to achieve savings. OMB wants to see these savings proposals broken out in a separate section of the budget submission, per the May 29 memorandum.

Per the memo, the Obama administration is preparing for the spending framework of the Budget Control Act, which established the current policy of sequestration, to continue. Burwell wrote: "Your budget submission will provide the President with the options needed to make the hard choices necessary to adhere to the [Budget Control Act's] discretionary funding levels, invest in priority areas, and focus on programs that work."

Agencies are instructed to exclude across-the-board reductions, cuts to mandatory spending, cost-shifting, and the reclassification of discretionary spending to mandatory spending, and new fees from factoring in to their requests. Burwell said that agencies could separately propose such solutions as a way of hitting the targeted 10 percent reductions.

About the Author

Adam Mazmanian is executive editor of FCW.

Before joining the editing team, Mazmanian was an FCW staff writer covering Congress, government-wide technology policy, health IT and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Prior to joining FCW, Mr. Mazmanian was technology correspondent for National Journal and served in a variety of editorial at B2B news service SmartBrief. Mazmanian started his career as an arts reporter and critic, and has contributed reviews and articles to the Washington Post, the Washington City Paper, Newsday, Architect magazine, and other publications. He was an editorial assistant and staff writer at the now-defunct New York Press and arts editor at the About.com online network in the 1990s, and was a weekly contributor of music and film reviews to the Washington Times from 2007 to 2014.

Click here for previous articles by Mazmanian. Connect with him on Twitter at @thisismaz.


FCW in Print

In the latest issue: Looking back on three decades of big stories in federal IT.

Featured

  • Anne Rung -- Commerce Department Photo

    Exit interview with Anne Rung

    The government's departing top acquisition official said she leaves behind a solid foundation on which to build more effective and efficient federal IT.

  • Charles Phalen

    Administration appoints first head of NBIB

    The National Background Investigations Bureau announced the appointment of its first director as the agency prepares to take over processing government background checks.

  • Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.)

    Senator: Rigid hiring process pushes millennials from federal work

    Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said agencies are missing out on younger workers because of the government's rigidity, particularly its protracted hiring process.

  • FCW @ 30 GPS

    FCW @ 30

    Since 1987, FCW has covered it all -- the major contracts, the disruptive technologies, the picayune scandals and the many, many people who make federal IT function. Here's a look back at six of the most significant stories.

  • Shutterstock image.

    A 'minibus' appropriations package could be in the cards

    A short-term funding bill is expected by Sept. 30 to keep the federal government operating through early December, but after that the options get more complicated.

  • Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco

    DOD launches new tech hub in Austin

    The DOD is opening a new Defense Innovation Unit Experimental office in Austin, Texas, while Congress debates legislation that could defund DIUx.

Reader comments

Mon, Jun 24, 2013

So when security breaks again, can we blame the lack of staffing on OMB? Remember, security is not the mission it only supports it, and it has been cut repeatedly over the last 5 years. You can't meet unfunded mandates with budget cuts. You can't expand missions in 2009 and 2010 without a higher support budget. You need to scale back the missions.

Mon, Jun 3, 2013

I'm just to tired to comment on this stuff. The more I hear from this administration the more tired I get.

Mon, Jun 3, 2013

Once again we have a one size fits all demand for an across the board cuts. How is it we can demand the same sort of budget cuts from agencies that protect lives as we do from agencies that fund trivialities? How is it we can still afford to give military aid to countries that hate us and stab us in the back every chance they get?

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group