Defense

Army points to system modernization focus for 2020

PHOTO CREDIT US ARMY 

The Army is focused on divesting its legacy systems for fiscal 2020.

"There's just so far you can take a 40-year-old system," Army Under Secretary Ryan McCarthy said during a Center for a New American Security event March 4 that previewed the force's impending 2020 budget expected next week. "There are some hard choices in this budget, and there will be more in the future."

The Army's much-anticipated 2020 budget will be the product of a zero-based approach where every dollar spent or requested had to be justified in a month's long process to find existing money that could be repurposed.

The result: Army said it has slashed more than $30 billion in programs over five years, including $8 billion in cost avoidance and $22 billion in cuts and terminations of existing programs.

McCarthy said nothing was spared, and even weapons systems beyond sustainment were on the chopping block.

"A lot of the cuts you'll see are in the backend of the budget because that's where we'll need the financing the most, because that's when [prototypes] are going through the operational test and start the fielding" across the force.

McCarthy tried to dissuade industry concerns over the cuts, saying there were still plenty of opportunities to work with the Army.

"Some of these companies have a sense of what's coming, others do not. We'll communicate very robustly with them for the explanations as to why, but [we'll] show the immense opportunity that exists in that space where many of them compete and the path we're trying to go," McCarthy said. There are, he said, "a lot of conversations to be had here in March and April."

Despite the new budget approach, the Army is still cautiously optimistic and enthusiastic about other transaction authorities. McCarthy told reporters the service has been "pretty aggressive with OTAs," using them for eight programs out of the approximately 800 overall.

"We watch it very closely, very judiciously because this is obviously a new authority that's been granted to us by Congress and ... we've got to be successful, we got to get some wins," he said.

McCarthy said the secretariat was watching all of those OTA programs closely, in particular those with small businesses. "You've got to be very careful with the authority," he said, and not be "stacking billion-dollar contracts on it."

About the Author

Lauren C. Williams is a staff writer at FCW covering defense and cybersecurity.

Prior to joining FCW, Williams was the tech reporter for ThinkProgress, where she covered everything from internet culture to national security issues. In past positions, Williams covered health care, politics and crime for various publications, including The Seattle Times.

Williams graduated with a master's in journalism from the University of Maryland, College Park and a bachelor's in dietetics from the University of Delaware. She can be contacted at lwilliams@fcw.com, or follow her on Twitter @lalaurenista.

Click here for previous articles by Wiliams.


Featured

  • Defense
    Ryan D. McCarthy being sworn in as Army Secretary Oct. 10, 2019. (Photo credit: Sgt. Dana Clarke/U.S. Army)

    Army wants to spend nearly $1B on cloud, data by 2025

    Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said lack of funding or a potential delay in the JEDI cloud bid "strikes to the heart of our concern."

  • Congress
    Rep. Jim Langevin (D-R.I.) at the Hack the Capitol conference Sept. 20, 2018

    Jim Langevin's view from the Hill

    As chairman of of the Intelligence and Emerging Threats and Capabilities subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committe and a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, Rhode Island Democrat Jim Langevin is one of the most influential voices on cybersecurity in Congress.

Stay Connected

FCW INSIDER

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.