FCW Insider

Blog archive

E-mail to the editor: More on government's people issues

FCW is doing a series of editorials focusing on the issues that presidential candidates should be talking about and offering some recommended changes. The first one was on people issues. Read it here.

It spurred the following e-mail:


Two items to note for you:

1. When eliminating any term, even "human capital," it must have an equivalent replacement. Please do not suggest a negative without a positive replacement. As for "forgetting we are dealing with people," I think that is an ignorant and almost belligerent way to open a discussion about a problem.

2. Pay for government workers... you mean the second largest welfare program in this country. After working in the Pentagon for three years and more than 10 follow-on consulting jobs, I can state without a doubt that 30 percent of all government employees actually work, and the other 70 percent should be removed from the workforce completely and/or have their pay reduced.

Pay for performance can never be fixed in a system that does not know how to have accountability with action behind it at every level. In other words, fire the incompetents, then there would be 70 percent fewer employees! But wait, that is almost impossible in the federal government.

And while we are at it, why does the federal government have a union for its employees? One of my co-workers at the Pentagon was coerced into joining it by having CPO requests lost or worked on slowly.

I am just tired of old-boy network loyalties rather than true brotherhood for all. Next you are going to start a debate about the use of the word "niggardly" in discussions about financial planning and have another hard-working employee resign due to ignorance.

My suggestion for you: Focus your discussion where it matters. What services are we as Americans willing to cut to reduce our budget and create a debt-reduced future for the next generation?

I would be very disappointed to see pay discussed without figuring out what will be cut, or who will be laid off, to make that happen.

Your next topic: Spending for today rather than investing for tomorrow, the new American way of life, and the death of multigenerational families through the expansion of Social Security (32 percent total budget in, 37 percent out, 5 percent loan year over year, plus 6 percent for interest payments).



I have withheld the name.

Posted by Christopher Dorobek on May 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM


Featured

  • Cybersecurity

    DHS floats 'collective defense' model for cybersecurity

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen wants her department to have a more direct role in defending the private sector and critical infrastructure entities from cyberthreats.

  • Defense
    Defense Secretary James Mattis testifies at an April 12 hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

    Mattis: Cloud deal not tailored for Amazon

    On Capitol Hill, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis sought to quell "rumors" that the Pentagon's planned single-award cloud acquisition was designed with Amazon Web Services in mind.

  • Census
    shutterstock image

    2020 Census to include citizenship question

    The Department of Commerce is breaking with recent practice and restoring a question about respondent citizenship last used in 1950, despite being urged not to by former Census directors and outside experts.

Stay Connected

FCW Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.