DevOps is positioned to play a significant role in how agencies develop new IT services.
In many cases, traditional approaches to development prove too costly and too cumbersome, making it difficult for agencies to deliver new services that come in on time and on budget—and up to spec.
DevOps offers a new way forward. DevOps practices are designed to speed the delivery of services while improving the quality of applications. Forrester Research, an IT market research and consulting firm, has identified four benefits of DevOps:
- More collaboration across an organization’s development and operations teams
- Reduced lag time through automation and improved, repeatable processes
- Reduced design complexity through the use of loosely coupled architectures
- A more agile response to customer feedback
An increasing number of agencies are beginning to leverage DevOps. For example, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services used DevOps practices to modernize its e-verify system. And the Defense Information Systems Agency is looking to DevOps to provide a more consistent approach to development across different environments.
Still, the DevOps methodology will prove to be a big change for many agencies.
This workshop will bring together IT leaders from government and industry to explore the future of DevOps in government. The sessions—which include both agency case studies and tech discussion—will look at key issues that agencies must consider when adopting the DevOps methodology and highlight emerging best practices in incorporating DevOps into an agency’s IT planning and management processes. The concluding session—the Workshop—will provide attendees an opportunity to offer input and ask questions of session leaders.
Topics to be addressed include:
- DevOps and the systems development lifecycle
- DevOps in a hybrid IT environment
- The integration of cybersecurity into DevOps processes
- DevOps and federal procurement practices
- Managing the culture changes
- Automation: Where to begin
- New approaches to user-centered design