Governments collect massive amounts of data in the process of performing its basic functions. But until recently, that data—often unstructured—has been difficult to manage and mine. Now, cloud computing, artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies are opening the door to large-scale, deep mining of data – structured and unstructured – that could revolutionize the way government agencies fulfill their missions.
Acknowledging the urgency and importance of data use and management, the 2018 President’s Management Agenda declared that using data as a strategic asset could grow the economy and increase the effectiveness of the federal government. The government’s Federal Data Strategy, currently under development, seeks to deliver a framework for a more consistent approach to federal data, including its stewardship, use and access.
Topics addressed included:
- The technology behind data mining and analysis
- The hidden value buried in government data
- Data governance and compliance
- How analysis of data could change government
- Security and privacy concerns (and precautions)
- The impact on government-citizen interactions
- Game changing technologies