Twitter is a key Gov 2.0 tool, but can it help define the movement? Readers try their thumbs.
Government 2.0 generates a lot of buzz, often without a lot of clarity.
So when we decided to devote an entire issue to the topic, we wanted a working definition. And because this issue is devoted to content generated by our readers, we crowdsourced it, inviting readers to submit their own definitions. In keeping with the spirit of Gov 2.0, contest entries were limited to the length of a tweet — that is, 140 characters. In fact, many readers submitted their entries via Twitter.
How do you capture an idea such as Gov 2.0 in a mere nub of a sentence? Ideally with originality, a dash of wit and an economy of words/characters. Many readers rose to the challenge, offering admirable efforts at lexicology and snarky expressions of disillusionment. Here are our favorites, in reverse order:
10. Gov 2.0 is about giving citizens the right information, in the right context, at the right time to make better informed decisions. (@wellknownfact)
9. Gov 2.0 is the strategic use of technology to transform our government into one that is more participatory, collaborative, and transparent. (Steve Radick)
8. Gov 2.0 is government that just barely squeaks by with a "C" average. (Jim)
7. GOV2.0: Red tape without postage. Automated rejection not voicemail hell. Answering FAQs no one asked. Appearance of progress. /fail (Old Guy)
6. Like Gov 1.0, but without the old people (Anonymous)
5. Communication that requires basic human interaction and common sense supplanted with a plethora of automated tools. (Michael)
4. Gov 2.0 wants to give citizens Apple-like innovation, Google-like info, Twitter-like simplicity while engaging inGov (@bdhumphreys)
3. Achieving illusion of transparency & accountability by empowering others to complicate governance & undermine bureaucratic effectiveness (W)
2. Gov 2.0 — not just for FOUO — it’s for you-o, me-o, & we-o — of peeps, by peeps, & for peeps — keeping the peace & perfecting our Union. (Aghilmort)
And the No. 1 definition of Gov 2.0 in 140 characters or less:
1. How I Learned to stop Siloing and Love Technology (SC)
NEXT STORY: Feds: Don't come work for us!