Annual Tele-Vision awards honor federal agencies with pioneering telework agendas.
The General Services Administration, Defense Department and the National Institutes of Health were recognized for their telework programs at the 2011 Tele-Vision Awards presented June 8 in Washington, D.C.
The awards were given in eight categories to government organizations and people who show leadership in government and education telework programs.
The award for the “Best New Telework Initiative” went to the Air Force Center Adjudication Facility for a program it developed because of the impending Base Realignment and Closure Plan. All of AFCAF’s 155 workers have been given remote-working training and about 65 percent telework on a regular basis. It is estimated that the program is the reason the center has been able to retain 92 percent of its security workers during its move required by BRAC.
Top honors for “Excellence in Telework Leadership” went to the office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force. It installed a secure virtual private network infrastructure and gave every employee a laptop and a cell phone. For collaboration and communications purposes, the office also developed a new telework website. Training programs were provided as well as long-distance hiring pilot programs.
DOD's Computer/Electronics Accommodations Program got the “Innovative Application of Technology to Support Telework” award. The program increases employment opportunities for people with disabilities, including wounded service members, by evaluating employees' needs and buying the proper technology for them to do their jobs.
Here's is a roundup of all the awards:
- Federal Telework Program Honorable Mention. Organization: General Services Administration.
- Excellence in Telework Leadership. Organization: the office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force. Program: Headquarters Air Force Telework Program.
- Innovative Application of Technology to Support Telework. Organization: DOD. Program: Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program.
- Best New Telework Initiative. Organization: Air Force Central Adjudication Facility. Program: AFCAF Telework Program.
Program with Maximum Impact on Government. Organization: National Institutes of Health.
Program: NIH/Office of Human Resources Continuity of Operations Project.
- State and Local
Government Telework Program. Organization: Connecticut Department of Transportation
Program: Telecommute Connecticut.
Leadership in Higher Learning. Organization: Washington State University
Program: Washington State University Division of Governmental Studies and Services Program for Digital Initiatives.
- Telework Driver Award. Honoree: Rosanne Russo, Telework Coordinator. Organization: Department of Justice/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.